Photoreading My First Book

Photoreading package from Learning Strategies CorporationMy Photoreading kit has arrived ! I was quite skeptical at the start, but have committed to give it a sincere effort for 30 days. The package includes several books, an audio CD set and a DVD set. I watched two of the DVDs and then Photoread the book last night.

The quality of the materials is quite good, and the DVD was much more than just an infomercial for other products from the vendor. It showed plenty of excerpts from a live course held a few years ago. I felt that after watching the first DVD I pretty much knew everything I had to know to try out the Photoreading technique.

I decided to test it out on the course overview book they provided. I think it worked. I say I think because Photoreading does not bring the subject matter into conscious awareness. It utilizes the non-conscious mind to directly absorb the material. The logic is that through Photoreading and then follow-on activation of the material (anytime between 30 minutes and 24 hours after Photoreading), your mind will be able to recall material when it is needed.

I tested it out this morning with a non-fiction book this morning. It was a book on Body-Mind connection in sport, and was about 270 pages long. I followed the protocol. First, I pre-viewed (skimmed the book for 10 minutes) and then Photoread (another 20 minutes) before taking a lunch break. I then activated (drew out a mid-map and skimmed the book quickly) and ruminated on the material for another 40 minutes. The whole process took me about 1 hour and 10 minutes to completely finish the Photoreading process. Once you get proficient, the entire process will speed up quickly, and the activation periods will take less and less time.

Do I feel like I actually read the book? No.

Do I feel like I know the subject matter? Funny enough…I actually do.

Right now, I could have a meaningful conversation with anyone about the topic, and probably go into depth for the important stuff. After I finished Photoreading I had a little internal conversation about what I just read, asking probing questions to see if the material had really sunk in. I was surprised with the amount I was able to retain. I grasped the main concepts and some random detail facts. However I was lacking depth across the board. Reading the book normally for a few minutes….I notices that there were also plenty funny and interesting examples in the book that I had no recollection of whatsoever.

According to the Photoreading protocol, even the minute details are captured by your brain, you are just not conscious of them. Practicing the technique should improve the conscious recall.

Since I am new to the Photoreading process, I am going to continue to activate the book, by skimming and mind-mapping for about 15 minutes each of the following two days. This process, I hope,will bring more of the content to the forefront! In tandem, I’ll start photoreading another book.

I plan to Photoread 30 books in 30 days using this method. I’ll post my progress daily.

***Enjoy this post? Subscribe to SetHigherStandards.com. Hey, it’s free!

Other posts you may enjoy:

November 8, 2006 at 11:43 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

1. hi ravi
    glad to hear a photoreader in India
    i have been trying to learn photoreading for about 1 year and six month bot i can’t get it
    i have the personal learning course
    and some paraliminals
    but i can’t do it can u plzzzz help me on this regard via live chat with me
    i know that pring is possible but i can’t learn the system
    plzz help me on this regard

vinay kumar

March 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

2. hey ravi, i am really interested in learning photo reading. I have been gathering info about it for past 3 months, but couldn’t get anywhere. It would be nice of you if u could tell me where can i get the photo reading kit from which you have got for your self.

and do u have any idea of Richard Welch’s program about photoreading

dheeraj

July 28, 2011 at 12:06 pm

3. This is very interesting. I have been reading a book a week using some regular fast reading techniques but this is something that I never heard of . I am going to try it and see how it works

Thanks Ravi for your post.

Shakeel Akhtar

May 21, 2011 at 11:59 am

4. Thank you for your blogpost. Our consciousness is indeed much more powerful! We use so little of our potential and everything we do that expands it is a step in the right direction. Even if you can’t photoread after using the course – just giving it a fair try and believing that something so weird can work is something wonderful!

Phill

September 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm

5. I just found this and I think it is all the convincing I need:

And here is the science to back it up:

And here is how stupid Americans are for not realizing the value of this program:

Enjoy!

Michael Dorovich

September 12, 2010 at 8:02 am

6. Hello,

If this post is still active, this is I think a very important discussion. I have purchased the Photoreading CD set, and reclined in a chair and listened to all 8 cds 3 times before finally doing all the steps, to become familiar with the concept and convince myself that it could work.

I tried all of the steps once or twice, but basically settled on skimming the back cover and table of contents, getting in a relaxed state, and then just photoreading the whole book with a timer in 5 minutes. (Most books 200-300 pages in 3-5 minutes if I turn pages aggressively) In a way this demands concentration, but I find it to be *much* easier than reading a book line by line, which would be agonizing and painstakingly slow to my conscious mind.

Before photoreading, I was determined to do a lot of reading (which I hated) to improve my financial situation. I read hundreds of books and was going out of my mind. I am action oriented and sitting still to read was always hell for me. I finally settled on buying a book and reading the entire thing by underlining every line with a pen, turning reading into a kinesthetic / motion exercise. I retained a lot of what I read, but it was agonizing hell, straining the hell out of my conscious mind. I was able to get to 1 min per page = 3 hrs 20 mins for a 180 page book, which was fast for me.

One thing I love about photoreading is that, from the very first time I started doing it (listening to the cd) it put me in a relaxed state, which was always hard for me to do. Also, I noticed that as I turned pages, my conscious mind was hardly stressed, never over stressed, and turning the pages was a breeze since I saw action and saw something happening.

It seems that photoreading engages the right brain while reading, which is *huge* compared to looking at every word with the left brain and translating as you go along (crazy!) This is also very relaxing, and the thing I got from it is that I could usually _feel_ something happen as I photoread, as if I were absorbing something.

I tried photoreading 3 books a day for a few weeks, and then again set a goal for 5 books a day for a few weeks. It is enough I think to get the process down and begin to absorb it if you keep using it. I also photoread the paper each day, trying not to stop and focus on the negatives.

The other day I photoread several books and afterwards I felt as though I had too much and had to digest it, as in eating too much. So I think something is being absorbed. I am very interested in the success stories posted by Learning Strategies Corporation, I tend to believe them, and I would like to test the comprehension of what I have read.

I have seen the NASA study, and I am coming to think that science is too limiting on what it allows, too skeptical, when such a large part of things working is the belief it can work. An example is making money through real estate, where some people conclude it can’t be done, and for them it doesn’t work, while others succeed because they believe they can.

I would like to hear more success stories and results from people who have been using the Photoreading system.

Michael Dorovich

September 12, 2010 at 7:20 am

7. Hi Ravi

Greetings!!!

This is Shubham from India…I am so interested in photo reading but couldnt find a way to start with..Even i failed to order the Photo Reading Personal learning course..

Its so nice to hear that someone from India knows about photo reading ..
    I will be highly grateful if you kindly tell how to order the course set……

KEEP UP YOUR SPIRIT!!!!!

Shubham
    India

Shubham Roy

September 1, 2010 at 5:42 pm

8. Hello,

I am interested in this PhotoReading and decided to try it out. I started yesterday and so far all here are saying the same thing I am or did.

When I started speed reading it did not click in until the 6th day of practicing. I read or saw that page in a second. It scared me, LOL. To speed read though you have to use it or loose it. I am an average read again with skills such as skimming to help me.

I figure this PhotoReading is the same. Use it or loose it. So, here I am testing it out. I will think positive about it. I will do it. See it is how you think, …they say.

As for the NASA part of the Wikipedia article, there are so many claims that PhotoReading works that I can not take one researchers condemnation totally serious, no matter how popular they are. This is a, “I have to see for myself” case.

Good luck everyone with your choice and adventure.

Antman

July 15, 2010 at 5:19 pm

9. couldn’t get photoreading …screwed almost half a semester with this

Anant Kandpal

July 5, 2010 at 4:15 pm

10. I’ve had a love/hate relationship with Photoreading for years. I think due to my stubborness and fear that I may fail to get that certain detail I need. I’ve given several rounds but get easily sidetracked with my kids constantly bugging me, just when my concentration starts getting there. Personally, I still like the Photoreading concept, because you are going over the material over and over again. People miss the point with Photoreading, thinking that with EVERY single book, newspaper, magazine, etc…we must use every step. NOT SO, do you read a book like you do a newspaper or a magazine? I think not. You use as many steps in the process needed to get to your goal. Want the OVERALL picture…then you skim the book and photoread or vice versa. Do you want to answer certain details to your question? Then you utilize more steps in Photoreading. Still further information? Utilize the WHOLE process then. Also one must also take into account, do you BELIEVE you will fail, then you will. Did you truly give it your all? Are you feeling fearful and would rather feel safe with the same reading structure you have always used? It’s unfair to judge something you try if that’s all you do is TRY. Like with any feat you do, you must BELIEVE you can, keep at it until you can and embrace it by using it everyday until it’s ingrained into your unconscious mind. As for me, I think MY PROBLEM is that I tend to self-sabotage but with my hypnosis cd’s (for that self-sabotage) I truly believe I can effectively achieve what I’ve always wanted…to photoread and learn and still have time to be with my family! GOOD LUCK!

April

November 5, 2009 at 12:16 pm

11. Hello Ravi,

Do you think Photo Reading could be used for the following :

– A new computer language
    – Arabic Grammar as a native English speaker
    – Learning every definition of the dictionnary
    – Maths / Physics

I look forward hearing from you

Best Regards from France,
    Tarek

Tarek Demiati

September 15, 2009 at 8:29 am

• Hi Tarek, I don’t see why not! It will probably be more challenging for more technical subjects but the overall concepts could help improve speed and comprehension. Worth a try. Personally, I do not photoread anymore. I think it is a great technique and do apply many of the skills to how I read things (skimming, skittering, mind-mapping) but the actual photo-reading technique has been hard for me to maintain over time. It takes a ton of concentration and effort. When I get the time to read – especially for enjoyment…I prefer to be more relaxed about it.

Ravi Raman

September 15, 2009 at 9:48 am

12. [...] Photoreading My First Book: Ravi Raman ordered a photoreading kit and reviews the results. See how it turned out, or get more [...]

13. hi there.. i’m sugaindren . i just finish the photoreading course in malaysia. it fun to do photoreading. as ravi say.. its need practice and discipline. play with it. lets share more and more about this topic ya.

r.sugaindren

June 11, 2009 at 12:51 am

• Hi Sugaindren,

I am from Malaysia as well. How was your photoreading experience up till now. Does it really work?

Ravindran

September 1, 2011 at 11:47 am

14. Hi Ravi – A friend forwarded your link to me. I’ve scanned some of your posts quickly- then got to your photoreading one. It made me laugh, as I read quickly through your posts then began to remember little tidbits I’d read in different sequence. I haven’t heard about this – but of course know of “photographic memory,” and, even more fascinating and explanatory is our “eternal memory” as evolving energy beings creating matter as we live. Thanks for the info!

M.E. Martin

April 21, 2009 at 7:31 pm

15. well in 1h 10 min yo could actually have read the book. If you read often as I do, it is totally possible and quite effective
    cool stuff anyway

Sltrigal

April 3, 2009 at 5:34 am

16. Note that the sample size was 2 people.

Not sure how empirical that can be considered.

“For anyone who reads this in the future: look at empirical data, not anecdotal evidence. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoreading#Skeptical_Response . It cites a NASA study done that concludes there is no actual improved speed. “

tom

March 6, 2009 at 1:29 am

17. Hola a todo.

Realmente es maravilloso estudiar con el sistema. Mi expiriencia de varios años de entrenamiento me ha dado los frutos. Hoy aprendo fluidamente y activo a diario otras capaccidade mentales…… Espero q sea motivador para ustedes.
    Es mas OFREZCO CURSO VIRTUALES VIA INTERNET. Contactos a okmanbb@hotmail.com
    wwwphotoreader.es.tl

bale

January 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm

18. Hi Akki, thanks for your comment. I have not been applying the technique diligently since I ended my brief trial. In the end, I found that my reading speed did increase quite a bit, but less from Photoreading than from the other techniques that they talk (mind maps, skimming, skittering).

I also must be honest in that I think the key to this program is regular and consistent application of the technique for a longer period of time. I think I will have to give it another go for longer and judge the results from there.

Ravi Raman

December 3, 2008 at 6:14 am

19. hey how has been ur experience of photoreading are u still practicing it .
    u have not written about it after year 2007 .

akki

December 2, 2008 at 6:44 am

20. by the way, i have not taken the course. i just read the photoreading book and started to apply it.
    The subconscious is very powerful, it can give you anything. i photoread my mercantile laws text book. it took me 2 hours to complete the process. when i activated, i was in heaven.
    Please visit http://evergreenhelpline.blogspot.com where i write all about subconscious mind, positive thinking, visualization and relaxation.

love,
    jaky astik

jaky

September 1, 2008 at 5:08 am

21. Still not sure but the Wikipedia article is about a short article. I doubt that anyone would bother to PR a short article. Not worth the time.

Al

August 20, 2008 at 1:48 pm

22. For anyone who reads this in the future: look at empirical data, not anecdotal evidence. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoreading#Skeptical_Response . It cites a NASA study done that concludes there is no actual improved speed. There is a link to the whole study.

I would guess your perceived success with the program is due to the fact that you skimmed the text first. This, of course, is what you are supposed to do anyway — see SQ3R reading method.

Mike

July 28, 2008 at 5:33 pm

23. I started the course twice and got about half way through. Funnily enough I had the same feelings as Ravi. Not sure if it works. I have a ton of books that I would like to read and I am trying to finish the course right now. I am on disc 7 of 8. I have watched the supercharger DVDs and listened to the subliminals.

Funny I don’t feel that I am further ahead because I don’t really recall anything. However having said this, according to the course, people seem to recall the info afterwards when they need it, like on exams and so forth. I find the mind mapping interesting but it is difficult to do when you are shooting in the dark, relying on your subconscious.

I find the constant advertising a bit of a nuisance.
    I still read the usual way.

Undecided.

Al

Al

January 26, 2008 at 8:06 pm

24. Thanks for the review and progress blog. I searched all over the internet for real life accounts of the system, rather than the “salesman pitch” of the system.

I am only giving Photoreading a chance because I know human brain can do some crazy feats. e.g. getting hypnotized, rapid depth calculation with “magic eye” pictures, etc..

Finally, I like Ravi’s analogy of having a governer in a high speed car.

Joe

June 2, 2007 at 10:51 pm

25. Photoreading is all about activating your subconscious mind whereas Speedreading simply teaches you how to read faster.

With photoreading you literally flip through pages faster than you can read (you can barely even see any of the text) and then you recall the information through asking yourself questions and skimming the book to activate the content.

When I applied the technique, I found that it did work, but I have since lapsed back into my old way of reading. Photoreading takes intense focus and discipline, but I am convinced that it does work to a certain degree.

May 30, 2007 at 4:57 am

26. i’m intrigued by all of the stories about photoreading here on the website. I would say that i’m still a skeptic about the whole idea but many individuals have told me that it does in fact improve the reading skills. Anyway, i’ve also come across something called “speed reading,” and i was wondering what is the difference between photoreading and speedreading?

thanks

danny

May 29, 2007 at 4:19 pm

27. I just got my photoreading course in the mail yesterday!

I’m looking to go through it for the next month or so. I’ve been thinking about it for awhile and finally made the choice.

We’ll see how it goes!

Michael

May 18, 2007 at 3:04 pm

• How did this turn out for you? I got mine in the mail today.

Diane

November 20, 2012 at 12:44 am

28. [...] PhotoReading on sethigherstandards.com [...]

29. Hi futurephotoreader!

I gave the photoreading program a committed effort for about two weeks, and I did see it start to work. I didn’t have anywhere near “perfect” comprehnesion, but I was able to retain and recall an astononishing amount given the little amount of time I actually had to commit to the actual reading and activation process. (activation is where you make some notes about what you read, and re-skim the material).

That said, I then stopped applying the techniques and went back to my standard mode of reading. I recently (just last week) starting photoreading again…and hope to make it stick this time!

I am convinced that is works….but like any change…it takes time and a strong committment. And by “it works”…I mean that I do think it can help people to read much more effectively and much more rapidly than the norm.

It is worth the investment IMHO.

The book will tell you everything you need to know to actually start using the technique. If you opt for the “full package” with the Audio/DVD included…you will get some more content and techniques that will help you out. I personally found the DVDs valuable….they show snippets from a photoreading seminar. For me, seeing people using the technique made it seem much more real for me.

Let me know how it goes for you!

Ravi

May 7, 2007 at 4:48 am

30. Ravi, so would you recommend Photoreading to others? Does it actually work? Honestly? If so please let us know how you ordered it so we can benefit from it.

futurephotoreader

May 7, 2007 at 3:08 am

31. [...] Make a commitment to change I have been nose breathing exclusively for the past 30 days. I was intrigued after photoreading about the benefits for endurance athletes in John Douillard’s book, “Body, Mind and Sport.” John’s book cites research showing marked decrease in the heart rates of runners who nose breath during high intensity 5K races. Through a more efficient processing of oxygen in the body, the heart has to pump less frequently. His studies have shown runners who apply the technique crossing the finish line at cross-country races in full sprint, while not being out of breath at all! For anyone training for a sport, particurlarly endurance athleted, nasal breathing holds a great promise for improved efficiency and performance. [...]

32. [...] Welcome to the latest installment of my photoreading progress. I finished reading book number eight this weekend. “Eat. Pray. Love.” by Elizabeth Gilbert. It was really awesome. A story of her year of travels. I photoread it and activated it, but ended up reading large chunks of it just because it was so good. Also, the story reminds me of a good friend who is on a similar journey right now. It made me slow down and soak in some of the chapters in more detail. [...]

33. Hey Ross, I have a few other posts on this blog about my photoreading progress over the past coulpe weeks. Just use the “search” link to find posts relating to photoreading.

So far, I am really impressed. I have been using the technique daily (try to read a book a day, doesnt always happen).

Funny enough, the actual photoreading doesn’t do much for me, but the skittering/skimming techniques definitely rock. I am going to keep at it and see where it gets me.

I will admit though, photoreading does put me in a “flow” state very quickly. It normally takes me 10-20 minutes of normal reading to get into this type of a groove.

November 28, 2006 at 1:03 am

34. Mate – I was very very tempted by this too after reading Steve Pavlina’s glowing (if slightly biased) review and then subsequent advertising.

I will be very interested in how this ends up because it is something I could definitely use.

Geez – could you imagine how much easier Uni would have been if you could photoread?!

Have a great day mate
    Ross

Ross

November 27, 2006 at 11:41 pm

35. [...] I am running behind on my goal to finish 30 books in 30 days. Lucky for me, today begins a long four-day holiday! I am not travelling either. [...]

36. [...] I just finished photoreading my third book, a 300 pager on the life of Michael Faraday. He’s the guy who invented the electric motor. My previous two books related to topics I am very familiar with; health and fitness. For this one, I was clueless going in. [...]