My Date With Destiny Experience

Tony RobbinsI’ve reclaimed my destiny! I’m gradually plugging myself back into the real world after my Date With Destiny experience. Having spent over six years at Microsoft, I’ve gone through a half-dozen personality tests, goal setting other skills assessment programs. Going into this seminar, I thought I knew myself, what drives me and my life goals pretty well.

I wasn’t sure to expect. I certainly didn’t think anything in my life was broken. I don’t have a crumbling marriage or strained relationship (I am in fact single). I am not in debt. I have a job (and a damn good one at that). I am living in a great place. I am in good physical health. I was mostly looking forward meeting other motivated people, and perhaps refining my life goals a bit.

I got much more than I bargained for.

The level of intensity that was really unbelievable. My typical routine involved a 7-8am wake up, followed by a quick workout (30 minutes jogging while nose breathing, and some weights at the hotel gym). The sessions started anywhere from 8:30-10am depending on the day. Things wrapped up somewhere between Midnight and 2am. There were rarely any breaks. If you had to use the bathroom, you just ran out and came right back! You packed snacks with you to eat. Despite the rigorous schedule, I had an incredibly high level of energy, and was really alert for the entire time. Perhaps they were pumping oxygen into the room to keep us all awake?!?!

From a nutritional standpoint, I love these events, because almost everyone is eating healthy food. Tony teaches (or should I say pushes and guilt-trips?!?!) people to adopt a vegan diet. I met many who decided to eat a vegetarian or vegan diet during the week. On the second day I sat next to a raw foodist. He had more food with him than you could imagine and nd insisted on feeding everyone within reach. Of course, I didn’t mind :) .

I didn’t have a drop of coffee all week. I just ate lots of raw nuts (Brazil, almond and cashews), apples, pears, salads, carrots, avocados, Vega Whole Food Meal Replacement drink and an occasional noodle soup from the Chinese place down the road (on the rare occassion when we had a break). Funny enough, I weighed myself yesterday after the seminar ended, fully expecting to have lost 4-5 pounds. However, my body-weight was the same as when I left, but I had 3% less body-fat! I don’t know how that is possible given that I didn’t eat that much….but my body seems to be doing just fine.

What did we do all day?

For those of you who haven’t been to a Tony Robbins seminar…let’s just say that you are never sitting for more than an hour at a stretch. The room is setup like a rock concert, with massive projection screens, a big stage, and a sound system better than most big dance clubs. There are frequent partner or group activities, and random games and clowning around to get you out of your head. Examples? Get in groups of 4 and select one person to jump in the middle and dance like Britney Spears. Get in groups of 5 and massage one person at the same time. Get in groups of 2, face each other and dance like a crazy person. I think you get the point! All the while, music (really good music I might add) and videos are played in the background.

In terms of format, each day had a different focus, where we learned and applied specific tools. There was an introduction day. A relationship day. An integration day. A transformation day, and so on. Each day has a stacking affect on the previous days. After the first few days I was clueless. The material didn’t have much of an impact on me. However, by the fifth day when we began to integrate the material together, things starting to click in a big way.

The material is based on Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) techniques, that Tony has modified and customized during this interactions with over 3 million people over the past 30 years. He also pulls material from other areas; including Indian Meditation, Spiral Dynamics and Ken Wilbur’s teachings. The great thing about Tony’s seminars, is that they are always evolving. As new techniques are discovered, they are incorporated into the mix.

Also, since the event was quite large (2500 people) we were split into teams of 50 people. Each team sat together each day, and had breakouts at the beginning of each day. My team was absolutely outstanding (Go Team 12!!!). I made a dozen lifelong friends through this process. Successful businessmen. College students. People in strained relationships. People in loving and happy relationships. A 20 year old professional poker player. A nightclub owner. A tax attorney. A criminal defense lawyer. Yes, we had quite the mix of people! Just developing these relationships made it worth attending in my opinion.

So what did I learn?

The point of the seminar was to define who you are and your core values, identify areas where changes are needed and take massive action to integrate the required changes into your mind and body. The process was incredibly intense. It was the most emotionally intense thing I have ever done. I suppose the best comparison is the way I felt in the final mile of the marathon during my last two Ironman Triathlons….not how my physical body felt…but how I felt emotionally. Lingering Sorrow, fatigue and incredible euphoria all at once. Imagine that feeling prolonged over six days and you are getting a taste of what it is like.

I will be writing a series of articles in January recapping my key learning’s from Date With Destiny. There is just no way I could it all justice in a single post. At a high level, the biggest insight for me was just how powerful emotions really are. We experience them during points of significant achievement or severe loss, but rarely are able to harness emotional strength on a daily basis to live a more courageous and fulfilling life. This is a strength that the physical body or the intellect can never match. There is no way I could have made this level of progress, this fast, on my own.

Since the seminar ended yesterday I have already begun to notice my body responding differently to emotional triggers in daily life. Things that would normally create frustration or anger do not have the same effect on me. A few dietary and behavioral addictions have also disappeared.

So far so good!

So I step on a plane (again) in a few hours, bound for India. It will be the first time I have visited in 13 years. After the past week at Date With Destiny, I can only imagine how fulfilling the next three weeks will be. I don’t expect to do any blogging during the trip. I hope that you have a safe and happy holiday season. Talk to you again when I return in the new year!

December 14, 2006 at 6:21 am

Posted in Uncategorized

1. Awesome man! I’m a big fan of Tony Robbins. I will attend the event in Australia. Glad you made it! ;-)

Nguyen

January 24, 2014 at 7:57 am

2. Hi ravi, my name is Tom, 20 years old and live in the netherlands.
    I came across ur blog by searching for DWD reviews and subscribed imediately when seeing alot of other very interesting posts.
    What i want to know though is this: Is there a chance u can try and explain how tony or how i myself find out who i truly am and what i really stand for?
    Since a couple of weeks i’ve really made alot of breakthroughs and have a completely new believe and view of life, which recently led me to Tony Robbins.
    I really want to envision an ideal future me but im afraid i’ll set the wrong goals based on my doubt whether i know myself or not.. Is there any way, besides going to DWD ( i just dont have the money ) to find my true self? Please dont tell me it’ll take a long time of meditation :>.
    Looking forward to your reply, or anyones reply with an insight in my problem.

Tom

June 13, 2012 at 7:55 am

3. Hi Ravi,
    this mail is from a small city called Mysore in South India.I am planning to attend the DWD seminar in Australia this August 2012.By my standards this is a prohibitively expensive seminar and will set me back a lot financially and hence i am really confused whether i am doing the right thing( my age is 46 years and have two teenage children and a home maker wife to look after)now.It is more than five years since you attended the DWD seminar.How is your life now?With your present maturity would you advise me to attend DWD?

N Raghavan

April 18, 2012 at 8:49 am

• Have you listened to Tony’s Personal Power program? Have you done all the exercises that he provided in that program?

If money and time are tight, I highly recommend starting with his CD programs. They are affordable and POWERFUL. DWD is amazing, a very good investment, but I would first recommend that you become familiar with his material through his books/CDs first. After you have done that, DWD is a good program to do.

YogiRavi

April 19, 2012 at 7:01 am

4. Hi Ravi,

I did a search and did not find the follow entries.

This one is a lot of superlatives (unbelievable, absolutely outstanding, the most emotionally intense thing) with no specifics, take aways.

More details will be great in addition to this journal type entry.

Regards
    Amit

Amit C

January 19, 2011 at 3:01 pm

5. Hi there, I was wondering if you could tell me, from your experience, would it be okay to do Date with Destiny before UPW? I know that this is not ideal but unless I do the Date with Destiny in Palm springs in December I may be unable to find the time again for some time. Ideally I’d do UPW first but there are no seminars that I can attend any time soon….
    Help advice appreciated….
    Thank you!
    Jaime

Jaime

October 21, 2010 at 6:04 am

• I think Date with Destiny is fine to do first. UPW is nice to do before, it will get you ready for the intensity of DWD and give you a taste of what it is like…but if you don’t have time for it in your schedule just jump into DWD and have a blast!

YogiRavi

October 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm

6. Thanks Ravi. Curious if you live in usa?

Kris

June 16, 2010 at 12:51 am

7. Your description of that seminar is simply awesome! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. I haven’t yet attended Robbins seminar but I have been to other NLP seminars run by Christopher Howard. Have you seen him? If so, how do these events compare?

Many greetings
    .-= Jasmine´s last blog ..Work From Home Stuffing Envelopes… =-.

Jasmine

February 2, 2010 at 2:52 am

8. I ran across your stuff as I was looking for a good sample vision board for a workshop I am delivering to military spouses. I like how you said “nothing was wrong” but you still got a lot out of the Tony R. event anyway, good for you!! I just read in Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover (good book) that its that mediocrity we need to fear. Anyway, good stuff here!
    Krista

Krista Wells

January 7, 2010 at 8:29 am

9. Hi Ravi,

Amazing review of DWD! I just did UPW Toronto this year and had a most incredible time, it was truly transformational. I don’t want to stop the journey. But am really freaked out by the cost of DWD. If you had it to do all over again, and had limited funds…would you? Have you completed the rest of Mastery U yet?

Live with passion, firewalker!
    Pam :)

Pamela

July 23, 2009 at 10:55 am

10. [...] I attended Date With Destiny, we did an incredibly profound guided meditation. This was very different from what most people [...]

11. [...] the goals-setting and vision board workshops I’ve organized. I’ve also done some extensive training on the topic myself, and learned a lot from my own mistakes. Here are a five quick tips to make [...]

12. [...] I finally got around to making a polished version of my vision board from Date With Destiny. [...]

13. Hi Aman, thanks for the comment. I do indeed that DWD is a life changing event. It is well worth the time, energy and monetary investment. If you havent been to an Unleash the Power Within event, I highly recommend it. I even believe they are doing them in India now, via a recording. Not ideal (seeing Tony live is incredible) but will be more affordable for you, and surely will be a great experience.

Hi Gregg, all I can say is that UPW is great, but it is like kindergarden compared to what you go through in Date with Destiny. The depth is incredible. I also have seen the impact stay with me longer. I am now almost 2 months after the event and still feel just as motivated as the day I got home. Maintainingg the momentum over the long-term will not be easy, but I am up to that challenge :)

btw…I checked out your website. You work looks fascinating! How long have you been studying meditation? When will you film be out? Would love to check it out.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

January 21, 2007 at 12:05 am

14. ravi,

Can you share some thoughts about the difference in the immersion you got in UPW versus Date with Destiny.

Specifically, with the extra days of going full tilt, did you notice a difference in the residual effects of new views than when you’d done UPW (or simply read books/listened to audio).

gregg

gregg

January 20, 2007 at 5:51 pm

15. hey ravi
    it was truly inspiring to hear from u about date with destiny.i wish i could fly to this event n attend it. i have read about this seminar in tony’s book awaken the gaint within but still i was a bit skeptic about it. but after hearing from u i m dead sure about its brilliance. thanks a lot buddy.
    aman(from delhi)

aman

January 20, 2007 at 11:34 am

16. Hey Gregg, I just got back from India….thus the delayed response!

I went to UPW and signed up for the full Mastery University program there. I would recommend that you do UPW before DWD. There are some concepts and tools that Tony refers to right away in Day 1 on DWD that are only taught at UPW (i.e. Power Move, Firewalking).

I know people who came into DWD as their first Tony seminar and had a great experience, but to maxmize your experience and time/$ committment…I would recommend doing UPW first (ideally, do one where tony is teaching live in person).

January 7, 2007 at 4:36 am

17. just out of curiosity, had you done UPW or just come in cold?

gregg

gregg

December 28, 2006 at 4:24 am

18. Well put it was an awesome event, pulling us in all directions, just when you thought you knew yourself there was something else to look at.

It is like looking at yourself & others with new eyes now I am back in the UK.

Look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.
    Rosalind

Rosalind

December 22, 2006 at 5:35 pm

19. Great stuff Ravi,

I’m really looking forward to hearing more!

Have a great day
    Ross

Ross

December 18, 2006 at 12:52 am

20. I was at this amazing event too!!!
    It was a powerful voyage leaded with mastery by Tony Robbins’ big heart.
    It’s the most exciting, adventurous and bright seminar I have ever taken part in.
    I wish a great holiday season to every body!

PAOLA PAGANI