Creating a Vision Board

Vision Board

During Saturday’s PowerGroup meetup, we made vision boards. Unlike my Date With Destiny vision board, this one was much simpler and more visual. It has four key sectors 1) Wealth 2) Vitality 3) Adventure 4) Love.

How did we actually built these boards? During last month’s meetup, we went through a goal setting process to help people get clear about what they really want to ACHIEVE. This was great prep for the vision process.

The only real guidance for creating the boards were that they be:

• Visual: they should be easy understand
  • Emotional: they should evoke excitement and interest
  • Personal: they should make sense for you and really fit your true goals
  • Current: they should be relevant for you given where you are right now in your life

Aside from these guiding principles, the process was very much free-form. Everyone brought magazines to help build their own giant collage. We also had poster board, markers and some other tools to make them personal.

Want to create your own vision board? Here are the steps we used.

1. Get clear about goals for the next year or so. This is by far the most crucial part of the process. Sometimes it helps to think of broad categories or “sections” that you want to represent in you board. For example, I had my four sections as mentioned above.
  2. Start ripping out images from magazines that represent your goals. Lay these out (roughly) on the poster board.
  3. Take post-it notes and write down any “power words” or motivational quotes. Place these on the board.
  4. Cut out the images and align them.
  5. Paste the images to the board. Don’t use Elmer’s glue, it will cause the images to ripple, use glue sticks that are safe for photos.
  6. Write out any power words or quotes. Decorate your board in any other way to make it personal and powerful for you.

The board should be placed in a visual location. In fact, you should make a point to look at it and reflect at least twice a day.

Keep in mind, the purpose of a vision board is to help you achieve your potential as a human being. It is not meant to magically manifest anything you desire into your life. With this perspective, I am excited to track progress for myself and the powergroup as we continue to grow over the coming months.

If you like what you see here, subscribe to Set Higher Standards and get inspiring content delivered regularly right to your e-mail inbox or RSS reader!

April 3, 2007 at 3:09 am

Posted in Uncategorized

1. Recommend an online vision board tool from GoalsOntrack.com

Harry @ GoalsOnTrack

October 14, 2010 at 3:44 am

2. Introducing myself. Have a sign shop in Los Angeles. Been lurking around watching you guys. You are awesome. Hope to fit in. Trying to learn all I can. Thanks in advance for the help I’m sure I’ll need.

- Fred
    Channel Letters

channelsignsw

May 8, 2010 at 2:36 pm

3. Hi,
    I like your http://www.sethigherstandards.com forum I will share this with friends.

minnickup

July 4, 2009 at 1:21 pm

4. Konninchiwa.)) Hi to everyone here. Glad to become member of your community.
    I am elite watch collectioner from Japan. Maybe i didnt spend for it many years before, but now I really found in love with Swiss watch luxury world.
    I have 10 original watches in my collection.
    I want to find friends with same interests at your forum, and really interesting which brand do u like? What watch can reflect all richness of your personality?
    Wait for your answers, friends.

tokyocomrad

May 30, 2009 at 2:23 am

5. [...] It is amazing what happens when you actually take the time to write down your goals. I am also a big fan of vision boards, they are a rich and visual way of reminding yourself every day about what you are looking to [...]

6. Nothing seems to be easier than seeing someone whom you can help but not helping.
    I suggest we start giving it a try. Give love to the ones that need it.
    God will appreciate it.

TraurlTwima

January 22, 2009 at 12:53 am

7. I’ve found the coolest and most effective tool to help with the visualization process – a great vision board software called Mind Movies Creator.

It was created by Ryan Higgins to help others visualize and manifest the life of their dreams. See a video and find out why here http://www.squidoo.com/vision-board-software

A Mind Movie allows you to create a vision of what you want, together with your Favorite song… the one that makes you feel good, the one that makes you want to dance, the one that makes you smile and sing along.

It’s like a 3 minute slide show/movie of your perfect life.

I’m trying it out now.

I’m having fun making my own vision board/mind movie.

And because it’s a software, no need to cut up magazines!

Thanks.

Eric

Eric

August 25, 2008 at 1:53 pm

8. I can’t wait to host my own Vision Board Making Party!

Thanks for the inspiration! Have an outstanding week.

-Robert

Robert Cheeke

April 23, 2008 at 7:09 am

9. [...] fall by the way-side. Over the past year, I’ve worked with dozens of people through the goals-setting and vision board workshops I’ve organized. I’ve also done some extensive training on the topic myself, and learned [...]

10. [...] I’ve written a lot about health and fitness on this blog, but have infrequently ventured into the land of wealth, finances and mastery over your bank account! This is an area of passion for me (I went to school for finance after all) but have rarely brought up these topics with friends or anyone else I socialize with (outside of my vision board activities). [...]

11. There is so much more going on in the realm of the invisible than there is in the visible realm. There are more “things” in the antimatter world than in this physical world of matter than we can perceive. God has given us the ability to operate in this realm or kingdom.

There are things in God and in this world that we know not of. There are limitations set by humanity that must be unveiled in order to progress in all aspects of your life. Everything that is created in this physical kingdom was first existing or made in the spiritual realm.

The Matrix. Have you seen it? Your life and the world you live in is much more like the matrix than you imagine (no pun intended!) What if this earth, the people on it, the events that we perceive to be real, and even our feelings were nothing more than an immense hologram? If everything that is, was, and is to be; and if God knew you before the foundations of time itself, could that indicate that you were created before you were here?\

Words are energy and energy effects matter. Your words you speak every day is shaping and forming and effecting the matter around you. By the end of this book, you will affect the matter around you just as intense as a microwave effects water; energy affecting matter.

Did you know that there is a way that you can position yourself to prosper in every area of your life? How would you like to create your own future? What if I told you that you can turn to a new blank page of your life, and write the story as you desire it to happen?

Your future is not something you sit around and wait for, it’s something you MAKE HAPPEN.

It is time for you to UNLEASH YOUR VISION!

The information contained in the book UNLEASH YOUR VISION by Anthony Reinglas is the Masters key to unleash the vision and destiny within you. You cannot change the past, but there is power in knowing that you can create the future, the way you desire it to be.

You can! In this book, UNLEASH YOUR VISION by Anthony Reinglas, I will take you through, step-by-step from the desire to the manifestation of your expected results. And it is easier than you think.

For more information, check out the website at: http://unleashyourvision.org

Anthony

November 6, 2007 at 1:32 am

12. Hi there, That’s a good Visioning exercise.

Just a note to let you know that, I’ve added you to my list of tags to join in Alex Shalman’s “Caring Compassion Charity”. The idea is for you to write about something you’re passionate about. You would link to me and I would link back to the originator. It’s a good way to build networking. You can find my article post here: http://thinksimplenow.com/happiness/the-causes-that-make-my-heart-sing/

Love & Gratitude,
    Tina
    Think Simple. Be Decisive.

13. I did something like this recently, but jsut with words. I stuck up a bunch of my goals for 2008 (and hopefully I can achieve some by the end of 2007) on the wall in my room. I look at it now and again. I have to learn to be more disciplined, though. I want to accomplish so much but I think I get a bit distracted too easily.

christelle

October 8, 2007 at 6:09 pm

14. Interesting points ravi :)
    Idea of having a vision board is simply fantastic. I’ll go ahead and will create a vision board [umm, I'll go for a poster or a wallpaper :)] and will upload it to show it to you :)

TipsoSaurus

August 13, 2007 at 3:48 pm

15. Ravi, your vision board is so pretty. I love it. Today I create mine, just using pen and paper & did some sketches/illustration. Not half as pretty as yours, but I like it anyway.

Fannie

July 11, 2007 at 3:07 am

16. [...] actually built vision boards and have experienced many interesting coincidences and synchronicities as a [...]

17. Hi Aiz, I worked with The Blog Studio (http://www.theblogstudio.com) on this new design. They do great work.

April 19, 2007 at 5:34 am

18. Great Blog!

Good design and very inspiring! Did you do it yourself or hired someone to do it for you?

Aziz

April 18, 2007 at 8:13 am

19. [...] plans, cues and reminders to keep you on task. I wrote about vision boards already. They are a great tool to keep you goals FRONT AND CENTER. Out of sight is out of mind. Don’t [...]