I’m Now a Homeowner!

After 12 years on my own post-college and renting all these years, I am now a homeowner!

The whole thing came about suddenly. I started thinking about potentially getting my own place 4 months ago, but didn’t start actually searching online until 3 months ago. 2 months ago I started visiting open houses and about 1.5 months ago I found a place, put in an offer….and got the keys last week!

I expected owning a home to feel like a burden, but it is exactly the opposite. It feels incredibly grounding and freeing at the same time.

Most of the house is empty (I’m coming from a small studio apartment) and I am in no rush to fill it right now, just enjoying the empty space…and small yard!

March 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm

1. As long as the American dream does not turn into the American nightmare, you are good to go. The problem is… its a game of chance, and chances are you got in at the right time, so… congratulations!

If you had purchased a home in 2005-06, by ’09 it would be worth half of what you paid. Then what? The house does in fact become a burden.

There are definite benefits to owning a home, just don’t let it own you.

Joe

March 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm

2. Congratulation!

The feeling of grounding (Always a personal roof over your head and feeling of ZEN) and freeing at the same time (LOL!!! Was renting and moving almost yearly for the last 6 years….DONE!) I am home and sure you will feel truly the same.

So, when do we get to see it?
    Mike

Mr. M

March 22, 2012 at 7:35 am

• I am figuring out the right date for a housewarming!!! You will be on the invite for sure Mr M!

YogiRavi

March 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

3. Your timing is very good.

Abdul

March 21, 2012 at 7:55 pm

• Thanks, things are definitely picking up around here in the real estate market. Good homes are going quickly…my Mortgage Broker mentioned that over the last few months she is busier than she has been in similar time periods the past 5-6 years.

YogiRavi