OK, here is the latest installment of my experiment to gain massive amounts of strength and size with minimal time spent in the gym. This is a 30 day challenge. So far, the scale isn’t showing a pretty picture.
HOWEVER, my strength gains are DEFINITELY PLEASING.Â Also consider that I started challenge pretty well-trained. That is, I have been weight training regularly for the past 12 months or so. I wouldn’t attribute the gains in strength to just going from out of shape to somewhat in shape.
Also, before the experiment began I took a day to test-out the new protocol I am using (high intensity, super-slow reps to failure) and calibrate the amount of weight I needed to use.
Here is where I started on May 1st 2007:
- Dead-lift 95lbs x 12 reps
- Nautilus Chest 145 lbs x 7 reps
- Pull Ups 6 reps
- Nautilus Leg Press 210 x 10 reps
- Nautilus Pullover 140 x 10 reps
- Nautilus Fly 130 x 5 reps
- Barbell Curl 55 x 7 reps
- Â Triceps Press – Bar 40 x 8
For comparison….here were my weights for a few other exercises I did during my second workout using this protocol on May 5th:
- Squats – Power Rack 115 lbs x 10 reps
- Leg Press – Sled 245 x 10
And here is how I did yesterday in the gym (I also did a few other exercises that I am omitting in this list):
- Squats – Power rack 145 lbs x 10 reps
- Nautilus Bench – 160 x 10 reps
- Leg Press – Sled 305 x 5 (did 275 lbs x 9 reps during the previous workout)
- Nautilus Fly – 145 x 5 reps
- Nautilus Pullover 170 x 9 reps
So in 20 days, I’ve managed to INCREASE my Squat by +26%,Â Chest Press +10% with +3 added reps, Chest Fly +11%, Pullover +30% (with 1 less rep) and Leg Press +12% with 1 fewer rep.
The amazing thing is, I’ve ONLY done 5 workouts!
Part of the gains might have something to do with my body getting used to the super-slow reps (5 second up, 5 second down); but there is no doubt I AM GETTING STRONGER.
More importantly, I FEEL STRONGER….even if my bodyweight doesn’t seem to show it!
Now it’s time to go eat 🙂