This Raw Power Smoothie is highly alkalizing, satiating and tastes really good!
(ingredients for my Raw Power Smoothie)
For the past few weeks I’ve been enjoying a big raw-food smoothie every morning. It’s a great addition to my diet. What prompted me to start doing this? I met someone about a month ago, who has been vegan for 20+ years, and mostly raw for almost as long. He is full of energy and very strong and fit. I never would have guessed he was Vegan, let along mostly raw.
I took a peak in his fridge, and was amazed to find it pretty much empty. Just a lot of dates, goji berries, some greens and other veggies. I asked him what he eats on a typical day, and he let me in on his secret smoothie recipe. I’ve been taking Vega pretty regularly, but I must admit that this homemade recipe tastes better and satiates longer.
Prepared as below it is about 700 calories, with about 15-20 grams of fat (mostly from avocado) and 15-20 grams of protein. There is a lot of sugar in it, but it is from whole food sources so I am not concerned.
After eating this I can pretty much go all day without eating (if I had to, this is not my goal). Perhaps the biggest benefit is that I just feel better after drinking it.
While it will blend best in a Vitamix, I have been using a standard Osterizer blender (my Vitamix is on order) and it works fine (will be just a little chunky).
Here’s the magic formula:
- 1 small Banana
- 1 small Apple (or 1/2 a large apple)
- 1/2 an Avocado (this is where you get most of your good fats)
- 2 palm-fuls of Goji Berries (buy the softer ones if you have a choice)
- 3 large Medjool Dates (I buy the freshest looking ones I can find, with pits)
- 2 heaping tablespoons Raw Hemp Seed Powder (I like Manitoba Harvest Brand)
- 1 heaping teaspoon Ground Raw Flaxseed
- 1 heaping teaspoon Maca Root Powder (great for adrenal gland support – for athletes or those in high stress jobs)
- 2 heaping teaspoons Raw Cacao Nips (ridiculously high in antioxidants – use whole Cacao beans if you can find them)
- 12 ounces of water (roughly…I usually just cover the entire mixture with water in the blender)
Blend the entire mixture on high for about 2 minutes. It makes 20 ounces of smoothie (medium thickness). Drink slowly and enjoy!