I finally made it to my apartment this afternoon, wrapping up my three-week journey all over the Indian subcontinent. After 36 hours of travelling; one would think that blogging would be the last thing on my mind……but I am on a mission. The mission is to not get jet-lag, that ill-tempered disease of the cross-continent traveller!
The trick is to force my body into my Seattle routine right away, with normal meal-times and a normal bedtime. Problem is, it is now 7:40pm, my normal bedtime is around midnight, and I haven’t really slept (well) in two days.
Thus the blogging.
The trip went amazingly well. I have over 600 pictures and tons of content in my head that needs to written down! For now, I’ll just list the top ten impressions of India that swimming around in my mind.
1. Everybody and their dog is jumping into the IT field.
2. More things are available for the growing middle class (modern shopping malls, cars, etc.).
3. Poverty, poverty and more poverty. Poverty is rampant, even in the most affluent areas.
4. Expanding waistlines. India is quickly becoming the diabetic capital of the world.
5. India thrives on person to person relationships. It’s all about the people….and there are tons of them!
6. Driving in India requires nerves of steel, catlike reflexes, a great suspension and a really loud horn.
7. There are young people everywhere! (50% of India’s population is under the age of 25).
8. Religion permiates everything and religious conversion is rampant.
9. Cellphones are everywhere.
10 Infrastructure in cities is starting to improve, but has a long way to go.
These are the things that stick out most in mind. More in future posts.